Sunday, November 9, 2008

School, politics, the weather: same old. EXCEPT THAT I AM IN GERMANY!

Ok so we just got back from the Thomas's house. They are a family in the branch and their 5 kids make up the entire primary and young men's. We are their home teachers and we had them over 2 weeks ago for dinner and games so this time we went over to their apartment. It is actually a crazy small world story: Sister Thomas was a foreign exchange student about 15 years ago in a U.S. high school. But not just any high school, PLEASANT GROVE HIGH SCHOOL. As in the high school Kara and I went to. Yeah. Crazy ironic. She even had the same P.E. teacher as me, good old Coach Bone who retired just last year. Anyway, Sister Thomas's English is brilliant and she has no accent whatsoever, and they are a really nice couple. And their kids, oh my goodness they are adorable. If my kids are half as cute as theirs I will feel really good about myself. There is Dennis (12), Imke (11), Johanna (10), Lasse (8), and Bente (6). Kara and I played Uno and some other random German card game with them for hours and it was so much fun. It is really fun to not be super self conscious about speaking German in front of them too because you don't feel obligated to speak in full sentences; you can just spurt out phrases, exclamations and slang words. Anyway, it was a really fun evening.

It was fast and testimony meeting at church today and Dad bore his testimony. I was asked to give the closing prayer and I (amazingly, and unlike last time when I chickened out) said it in German.

School is going fairly well. I mean, no- it gets more and more frustrating and seemingly impossible, but I have been told to regard that as a good sign, so all is good.

I had several people congratulate me on our new President. It was all every newspaper, radio, and news channel could talk about this past week. I have to say I am quite glad of the results, at least while I am here in Germany, due to the fact that all Europeans are obsessed with Obama and seriously would have broke into riots if he was not elected. They may not be as unbiased and informed as they think they are on American politics, but I have realized how profoundly American government and politics affect them here, and many other countries globally.

The weather here is still amazingly nice. The grass is even still green, but only the reddest of leaves still cling to the sparse trees. It has yet to snow in Goettingen, but the clouds feel at their leisure to rain as often and as much as they desire.

Ok, that must mark a fairly uneventful week if I am reverting to talking about the weather, so I will peace out. Bis nachste Woche. Ich liebe euch!

No comments: